Director, Field Visual Merchandise – Old Navy – Central Territory
Job#: 227192 Date Posted:Jan. 28, 2018
Job Status: Full-time
Forget what you know about old-school industry rules. When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path. From day one, we’ve been on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Our teams make style accessible to everyone, creating high-quality, must-have fashion essentials for the whole family, with love, season after season.
We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can find fabulous fashion at affordable prices online and in one of our 1,000+ stores globally. Old Navy celebrates a workplace that’s just as diverse as our customers. Fun, fashion, family and value are at the heart of everything we do. We cultivate a community of playful personalities that thrive in a fast-paced environment where our employees can be their most authentic selves. Here, we’re family.
Old Navy – a brand for everyone a place for you!
Old Navy makes current American fashion essentials accessible to every family. From day one, Old Navy was a revolution. We were something the world had never seen – fabulous, affordable fashion. We didn’t take ourselves too seriously, and we broke the industry’s rules. We said fashion didn’t have to be just for rich people – it could be for everyone. We opened our first store in 1994 in San Francisco and have been on a roll ever since. Today, customers can shop for their must-have fashion essentials online as well as in one of our 1,000+ stores located globally.
When you work at Old Navy, you’re choosing a different path (and a pretty awesome one at that). We believe that style and quality should be accessible to everyone and we work hard to make that possible. Truth is, in fashion, it’s easy to be exclusive. It takes a lot more creativity, guts and drive to be inclusive. What we believe in today is exactly what we believed in when we started: we’re on a mission to democratize fashion and make shopping fun again. Sound good to you?
Old Navy – a brand for everyone, a place for you.
The Visual Director will lead the visual merchandising strategy within all territories. They will work in collaboration with the VP of Stores and visual teams in Mission Bay to ensure brand and territory strategies are realized. They will ensure visual communication is executed consistently and visual standards are met. They will work closely with all cross-functional partners to create a compelling shopping experience to drive volume for the customer.
The Visual Director will also ensure store teams understand, celebrate and sell our product through localization of events. They will inspire others and foster a culture of continuous growth and evolution. And they will help us evolve from running stores to creating an Old Navy experience that’s an integrated part of Jennie’s life – setting us apart from competitors and helping us drive results.
Operations and Profitability
- Work cross-functionally to develop the strategy and action plans that will support Brand’s initiatives
- Work to translate the brand presentation as directed by corporate for the field teams to ensure the brand vision is brought to life for the customer across the fleet
- Partner with VP of Stores to identify business opportunities within territories
- Manage budget
Customer and Store Experience
- Be informed of competitive brand experiences in all facets of retail to ensure Old Navy is a leader in the category
- Solicit and compile feedback from field managers and communicate back to HQ partners
- Consistently make decisions through the lens of the Old Navy customer
Product and Visual
- Partner with HQ Visual to understand business objectives and develop the action plan to achieve those plans in stores
- Develop framework and material content for field conferences, meetings, and workshops that covers brand presentation and brand store experience
- Foster open communication across divisions and function to identify and capture opportunities for improvement
- Achieve consistency in presentation and experience across the fleet
Leadership and People
- Communicate the brand vision and direction to the team and the field organization at large
- Work cross-functionally to ensure the brand presentation expectation is consistently actionable for the stores
- Design a functional organization to achieve the specific business unit strategies and the Brand strategies
- Ensure the teams know and understand the brand strategy and how their work impacts the organization
- Mentor and develop the team to reach their highest potential.
- Ensure the right people are in the right jobs
- Lead the Field Visual Team as it trains and inspires the store’s team to execute the brand presentation and experience
- Ensure that Market Leaders understand seasonal overview and the key message of each flow
- Influence at all levels
- Motivate and inspire team to deliver results
- Business Acumen
- Customer Focus
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Decision Quality
- Developing Direct Reports and Others
- Directing Others
- Functional Skills
- Innovation Management
- Integrity and Trust
- Learning on the Fly
- Managing and Measuring Work
- Managing Vision and Purpose
- Motivating Others
- Presentation Skills
- Priority Setting
- Problem Solving
- Drive for Results
- Strategic Agility
- Written Communications
- Four year college degree preferred
- 7+ years of visual presentation experience
- Multiple store experience preferred
- Ability to lift and carry 30lbs
- Ability to travel between stores
- Ability to climb a ladder
- Ability to travel, including overnight as required
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including nights and weekends
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Employees receive medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- Employees can apply for tuition reimbursement.*
- Family care programs.
- Commuter benefits.
- Pet Discount Program.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. In 2016, Gap Inc. was named one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the thirteenth consecutive year and was the sole winner of the Catalyst award for equality at http://www.catalyst.org/knowledge/gap-inc-women-and-opportunity in the workplace in 2016.
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status.